The Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation is dedicated to improving the health of the people of Wisconsin by supporting medical education and public health initiatives. This work is made possible through donations from physicians and other friends of medicine.
The Wisconsin Medical Society created the Foundation in 1955 as a distinct entity with its own governance in order to separate its traditional advocacy role from the Foundation’s charitable role. As the 501(c)(3) public, nonprofit affiliated with the Wisconsin Medical Society, the Foundation’s programs complement the mission of the Society and our shared priorities.
Today, under the leadership of the Board of Trustees, the Foundation strives to achieve two strategic goals:
- Ensure a diverse and well trained physician workforce
- Improve health in Wisconsin by supporting physician championed, evidence-based programs and innovative pilots that:
- Address health disparities
- Promote early interventions
- Increase mental health access
- Promote disease prevention strategies
Funded by the generous donations of physicians, county medical societies, health systems, businesses and others, the Foundation offers numerous programs and events in support of these strategic goals, including the following:
- Scholarships for medical students and those pursuing careers in allied health care professions.
- Student loans to medical students.
- Summer fellowships that allow medical students to work alongside Society physician members to address public health issues.
- Grants for education and research initiatives that promote modifiable lifestyle choices to improve health.
- White Coat Campaign to provide a white coat and personal message of encouragement to each first-year medical student who attends school in Wisconsin.
- Prescription for a Healthy You program teaching children ages 7 to 13 healthy habits at Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee and Dane County.
Eileen Wilson, Executive Director
Elizabeth Ringle, Program Coordinator
Henry Thompson, Outreach Coordinator
Lori Koffarnus, Administrative Assistant
Susan Buzby, Director of Development
330 E. Lakeside St.
Madison, WI 53715
The Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation (Foundation) is committed to equal opportunity. The Foundation provides opportunities without regard to, and does not discriminate based on sex, race, color, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion, marital status, arrest or conviction record, military service, or any other characteristic that is protected under applicable law.